• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

sinuses get stoped up while sleeping- help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRPPNASS_DSCOMONKE

Bluelighter
hello all, thanks for checking out my thread. this is really starting to get to me.

so heres the deal. when i lay down to go to sleep, ill wake up a while after falling asleep (i have to sleep on my back due to rib in juries) with sinuses completely clogged. so when i get stopped up while sleeping ill end up breathing from my mouth since i cant breathe through my nose. and this causes the throat to get completly raw! this sucks!

but then the crazy part is, when i finally wake up because my throat is hurting so bad, i stand up to go to the restroom and blow my nose, and almost as soon as i stand up my sinues completly clear up! and when i get to the bathroom to blow my nose, nothing will come out!?!? WTF, like theres nothing in there!

and then as soon as i go back to lay down i can feel it start to happen again. and a couple hours later, without fail, same situation!

some notes- i dont smoke much, maybe 2-4 cigs a week. havnt smoked weed in 3 months. my doctor said i have mild sleep apnea, and that i was the skinniest person he'd ever seen with it, 140lbs.

please help if you can. thanks

This happens to me. What the doctor did for me was give me a prescription to get a "Cool Mist Humidifier" for my room (yes, a prescription, lol, so I didn't have to pay for it completely and the insurance would pick up most of the tab). So I fill that up and use it, then allergy pills, and occasionally before I go to sleep I will use Zicam Extreme/Severe Congestion. It has aloe in it, and it works for a while.

Part of my problem was that my room was too dry though, definitely see if you can get a humidifier, they are about $25.

hmm, perhaps a humidifier. but couldnt that cause the sinuses to produce more?

also to note, over the last few weeks i have been taking a very small amount of IN focalin on my lunch breaks. i would think maybe it would be my body trying to purge the residual powder from my sinuses, but that wouldnt explain the fact that it goes away when i stand up and comes back when i lay down. plus it was happening before that.

hmm, perhaps a humidifier. but couldnt that cause the sinuses to produce more?

Not usually. Sometimes having a lot of mucous in the sinuses is caused by over-production due to try sinuses. I use a warm mist one, particularly in the colder months.

Have you tried those breathe right strips? They work pretty well for me.

you could also try flushing any powder residue out of your nose with saline.

michael- i always flush my nose out within the hour after i snort anything. your absolutly right, it makes a pretty big difference.

d r- my nose has been fractured twice. it was about 10 years ago.

it just seems so weird that i will wake up so congested i cant breathe through my nose, ill stand up and it will go away within a minute. lay back down, its back in no time.

If your allergies are worse upon waking or during the night, it's likely dust mites. Washing your sheets weekly, using allergen-free pillow covers, and not lying down in your bed before washing your hair will help this problem immensely. You might also wanna consider an air cleaner for your bedroom.

Mold/mildew could also be a problem, especially if your window has condensed water on it often. The goal is just to keep your bedroom as clean/allergen-free as possible, as it's where most people spend most of their time indoors. Vacuuming, dusting, and keeping A/C and heater vents clean is what will help the most. Antihistamines don't hurt either, but some of them have gnarly side effects or don't work that well.

hmm.. you could have a lead for me there lady. the blanket im using was stored in my closet for a while. will take to laundrymat and report with findings.

^ it is also becoming allergy season here, too. :) fwiw, my sinuses have been doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.